Monday, August 4, 2014

No Easy-Bake Oven . . . muy triste

28 July 2014

So this week we had a baptism de una joven named Wendy. She is really smart and I am sure that she will progress well in the gospel. We had the baptism Saturday. I had some ingredients left over to make cookies so I thought, 'hey lets make this even a little more cool and make cookies'. A member family told us that they had an oven and that we could do the cookies there so it was perfect.

When we went to the member's house we discovered it was an old gas oven. I didn't know how to turn it on . . . and they didn't know how to do it either . . . We tried a couple times and almost exploded ourselves . . . Not really. That was kind of a joke. Then we got a neighbor to come do it. 
 
I asked for their cookie sheets and they gave my this piece of metal that had the capacity to cook 2 cookies. Ugh. 25 minutes later we had 8 cookies . . . and my comp and I had to go prepare for the baptism. So we asked the member if they could keep baking cookies and then bring them. They said that they were more than capable.
 
A series of unfortunate events later . . . The baptism had started and ended and was pretty good and super spiritual. We went to eat the cookies. These are the cookies I had been bragging about all week to the members because they do not have cookies here or do much baking.  So we all went to eat the cookies. But in place of a plate of cookies was a plate of burnt crisps . . . Apparently the family thought that they should re-heat up the cookies again before leaving. They then explained to me that something strange had occurred. When they put the cookies back in the oven they were really good. But when they took them out they were not so good . . . Sooooo the moral of the story is that you should not brag, ever.

The baptism was really good and we have some strong converts. I have been focusing on recent converts more than anything else. I do not want any of them to fall away. Half of our lessons that we do weekly are to the recent converts. 

We are building good relationships with some of the members. When we arrived here, none of the members would accompany the missionaries. Now we have a group of people who are willing to acompany us all day. 
 
Working for the Lord is the best work that there is. It is sometimes the hardest and it certainly doesn't pay the best, but it is the most rewarding. I have run out of doubts. I know that the church is true and I know that God loves me. I have learned alot about him because I have worked with him. God is so willing to bless those who put there confidence in Him.
 
Love, Elder Rallison
 

No comments:

Post a Comment